Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Magic In Blocking

Ok, I promise, no more pictures of this blanket after today, I just had to share a few things. One, thank you all SOOOOO much for all your help on trying to decide if I wanted to do a border or not. As you can see, I decided not to, for lots of reasons, but mostly that I was just happy with how it looked without! Two, following Johanna's advice, I gave the blanket a bath in the washing machine. Let me tell you, I was a bit scared putting this in the machine... 56 blocks worth of seaming... um yeah you get the picture. After a short cycle on warm, I took the blanket out and, voila, its soft, the seamed ridges on the back have dissapeared, and the blanket is a few inches bigger! I pinned it down to discovered that a few of the woven in ends have slightly come out of their places, but that is because the blanket stretched out a bit. After some drying and cutting, here is what I ended up with.





So, the final project details:
Pattern: Baby Knits for Beginner's, by Debbie Bliss
Yarn: Debbie Bliss, Merino Aran in 7 different shades (color numbers 325508, 325101, 325601, 325604, 325102, 325213, and one I can't find)
Measurements: 19.5 x 21.5 before blocking, 21.5 x 24 after blocking
Started: August 7, 2005
Finished: August 25, 2005
Other Important Details: Wash this in the machine before you block! The difference was amazing!

And look at what came in the mail this morning! A new toy that will help me tons with my dyeing! Diana suggested that I get this Niddy Noddy (how cool of a name is that?!) to help me with winding skeins. I can't wait to try this out on all the Gryffindor yarn I dyed yesterday.



And last, but not least (I'm always shy about putting up random pictures of myself) Scott and I took the day off today since I am going to be gone from tomorrow afternoon through next Wednesday night... and he is going to be gone from Sunday through Thursday. We figured its supposed to be a gorgeous day, so why not enjoy it! We went for a nice bike ride this morning with our cousin Peter and had a great time. Here we are this morning getting ready to head out. Oh, and as of this weekend, we've been dating for 6 years, can you believe that?! Its stinks we'll both be traveling for work for the next week..



Have a great day everyone! New project pictures to come tomorrow before I leave!

20 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how the blanket looks, and I think it is fine without the border! But, the washing machine? Really? I have that baby Raglan, in the baby cashmerino I need to block - will have to read the link you left and figure out what to do about that =)

Happy 6 years to you and Scott!

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the look of the blanket. Washing really changed it, I do like it without a border.

Hope the bike ride was fun. I've been riding to work this week and it's been wonderful. I really need to get a road bike.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Janette said...

What a difference a cycle in the wash made! Before it was puffy and now it's flat. I like it both ways! It looks fantastic.

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries about many pictures of the blanket, I love looking at the colors. In fact, if you want to put up a picture of it every now and again in the future, I won't complain.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the finished product! It looks fabulous and I am sure your co-worker is going to love it.

You guys look great together! Happy 6 years and I hope you had a fantastic ride. When it gets below 90 degrees here I may be doing a lot of that myself. Can I ask how you like your Cannondale? I have a mountainbike but am looking at road bikes for the very near future.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, and I love it! What a beautiful blanket - absolutely lovely. I'll keep reading!
Take care,
Carla

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blanket looks great! You really did a nice job on it.

Hope the bike ride was fun.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger knittingnurse said...

The blanket looks awesome. Yeah for completed projects!
Hope you enjoyed your day together. It's so much fun to have a day off together isn't it?

 
At 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blanket is stunning. Next baby in my life (not necessary specifically IN MY LIFE) is going to get a blanket like yours. How inspiring. It's perfect.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Wow the blanket looks beautiful! I can't decide if I like blocked or fluffy better! I hope you have a lovely weekend! Oh, you have the niddy noddy and can make hanks, now all you need is a ball winder :)

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

oh yes your right the blanket looks amazing!!! washing it did the trick! seem that the kitties are gonna miss the blanket too:) have a safe weekend, congrads on the 6 yrs!!!!!

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous!! I would have been hestitant to put it in the washer too. Happy 6 years!!

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that it came out of the wash nicely! I would have had to have taken full responsibility and knit you another if it hadn't, and let's face it... I have enough deadline knitting to do!

Congratulations to you and Scott. That's a big milestone. Happy thoughts to you both,

Johanna
Jofrog is Knitfrog

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blanket is soooo cute ! And the colors look so great!
A spinning wheel! Really? Oh I just can't contain my excitement for you! Yippie!
And great picture of you too!

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Awwwwww...the baby blanket came out perfectly. The colors are so nice. I'm jealous...I want one for myself - perfect for snuggling up on the couch watching TV with the cats. Happy Anniversary by the way! :-)

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger sarah said...

LOVE the blanket. I'm glad you decided to go no-border. It looks perfect as is. I'm house sitting for a kitty this weekend who does the same thing. He wants to be all in everything I'm doing. Especially the mohair I'm knitting with!

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dani...the blanket looks absolutely amazing. by the way, i was knitting the watermelon socks in a yarn store in NJ and the store owners fell in love with it and asked if i could put you in touch with them about the possibility of carrying your hand dyed yarns. let me know if you are interested. will you be at knitsmiths on sunday?

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Ms. Lance-a-lot said...

I've been out of touch for a bit; Love the blanket! Easy knitting but marvelous result. Love, the colors. Did you use the full skeins of each color? I'm about to start on socks with the yarn you sent me!

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

The blanket is gorgeous!

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blanket is really cute! Love the colors too. Where did you get your niddy noddy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home