Monday, April 11, 2005

The Solo Sock

My first completed sock... and I am not thrilled with it if you can imagine that! I have really high expectations and I am just dissapointed with the size and the few holes at the heel seam in this bad boy. The sock is just too damn tight around my ankle (on the top of my foot, I have a high arc between my ankle and the top of my foot if you can imagine that). Nevertheless, I had to struggle to put the sock on and ended up stretching out the top half of the sock a decent amount. I casted on with 68 stitches on size 1 needles using the Yankee Classic Sock pattern and fortissima cotton 742. Any suggestions on how to get this right the next time?! I will probably go ahead and make the other one and just hope that they stretch out over time... The sock feels great when its on, I just hate how it looks off the foot.



7 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Blogger claudia said...

Dani, m'dear. Socks are not for looks! If it fits your foot and doesn't fall down when you wear them, well SCORE one for you. Socks will usually stretch out when you wear them, so test drive the pair of socks before dissing.

;-)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Dani said...

Thanks Claudia... I know, I know. I am a perfectionist to say the least and want it to look perfect on and off the foot:) My main concern is that it takes a lot of pulling to get it off and on. THank you for the nice comment though... it does make me feel better! I cast on for #2 last night!

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it looks really nice to me! great job!

Maybe try a looser cast-on, with needles a couple sizes bigger in the future, so its not so tight.

Such nice work, it fits your foot really well.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Dharia said...

hey, i started a knew webring for scientists who knit called ScienceKnits over on ringsurf. would you like to join?

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello fellow "JUST Dani"

You finished your socks, which is more than I can say. You've been to my blog, you've read my tale of woe with socks ;-)

Enjoy them!

 
At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the benefit of distance, but I think your sock looks lovely. :)

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger alltangledup said...

Ribbed socks tend to fit better than stocking stitch. The cast on has to be really loose, you should cast on, on 2 needles held parallel. The first row is a pain in the neck and you have to be careful because of the loose row, but honestly it makes the world of a difference.

My first sock was also with the Yankee Knitter pattern. It is a fairly good pattern to start with, but I have high arches and found the heel flap too short.

One more thing gauge, is more important than needle size, so measure around the leg and do the maths. The ribbing stretched should be about an inch less than circumference of leg. HTH Polly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home