Thursday, October 27, 2005

Day 3 (For Those Who Are Counting)

As promised, some knitting content! I finished a pair of wrist/hand warmers from Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. These are super soft and I plan on making a few more with different colors. So, plan on seeing more in the future. I finished these up while on our way to Yellowstone!



One thing that Scott and I get a kick out of are the signs... I love this first one about the freezing water. NO KIDDING! The second is just funny to me because, humph, this continental divide is nothing to the one we have in Colorado.. That's just me being a snooty head :) Also, please don't mind the washed out pictures. We were having issues with the bright gray day.



This was by far my favorite spot of the day. This was a picture in front of the West Thumb Geyser area at Yellowstone Lake. I LOVED all the little geyser pools and the paint pots. I think one of the most phenomenal aspects of the entire park are the extremophiles that live in the park (a.k.a. the microorganisms that thrive in the sulphur springs and thermal vents). Ahh, science. I could spend all day getting into this, but I'll spare you all.




A couple of the many other stops we made were to Old Faithful and the Black Sand Basin area. We didn't stick around Old Faithful to watch her errupt, because Scott kept on insisting that "she was a saucy little trickster and would just errupt when we weren't looking". So, we just settled on seeing one of the other small geysers errupt across the field. I was more intrigued by the Black Sand Basin area across the street and all of the wild colors produced by the heavy metal content and extremophiles.




Since this is not the time most people visit Yellowstone, we had issues finding people to take pictures of us. So, here is a self portrait and is, my no means, a nice picture. But, it will have to do for the day. Here we are in front of the Great Fountain Geyser that supposedly takes hours to errupt. Once again, we refused to wait (and Scott does, well not today, have work to tend to!)



Lastly, here is the wildlife photo of the day. A cute little (well, big) bison that we caught right by Firehole Lake.



Right now we are in Bozeman and are only here for tonight. Scott has a bit of work to do here in the morning before we make our way to Whitefish, MT. Have a happy Friday everyone! I need to find a yarn store here in Bozeman.. Must... find... more... yarn.... (Don't tell Scott though).

9 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger amandamonkey said...

I'm totally telling Scott.

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a well deserved (and needed) vacation! Good luck with the yarn shopping, you can never have too much!

Johanna
Jofrog is Knitfrog

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am loving having this day by day accounting of your trip - sounds like youa re having fun and seeing fun things and spending good time with Scott (Rich says hi BTW, pass it along!) Yay for you!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger DancingFish said...

Woo Hoo extremophiles! They are the topic of one of my (and the students) favorite recitation discussions. And beautiful as well on top of their science-y goodness!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Bear Knits said...

You're such a quick knitter! Those wrist warmers look very pretty. BTW, I've been enjoying your vacation pictures.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

The wrist warmers are great - love the color. And your trip looks incredibly relaxing...wish I was there! :-)

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

okay it's official, ya'll have got to be the cutest couple:) i am so glad this is such a fun trip! i would love to go to yellowstone one day, i love the science too!!!!!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Love the wrist/hand warmers and those are some awesome pictures of Yellowstone. We hope to get there one of these years :)

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

OOOOOO you are in BOZEMAN!!!!! My husband would be so jealous. He is from Helena, and all his family are still there. His best friend is in Bozeman...and Greg wentto school there and in Missoula.

Too bad I didn't know you were going to be there in advance. I could have got the skinny on all the yarn shops.

We are going to Whitefish for a reunion this summer. I Love it there. And Glacier Park is my all time favorite spot to visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home