Sunday, December 09, 2007

Manos Love

I didn't think I had it in me to finish this work of love. I started it, oh, back in February hoping that it would be a gift to my parents for helping us out so much with the wedding. Yeah. Right. Words of advice for future knitter brides - don't think you are going to get much done in the few months before the wedding. Anyhow, I mustered up the strength around my mom's birthday and got cracking on the Manos squares once again. It didn't make it to my mom for her birthday, but I did slide it in their Chanukah package last week. Unfortunately, its is terribly hard to take pictures of a 45 by 70 inch afghan in my apartment, especially on a dark New England day... here is the best I could do:





I wasn't really happy with it until I added the fringe - it really tied all the colors together. My parents loved it, even my dad, and I know it will get lots of use in the coming years. Thank you - happy - wedding - birthday - Chanukah - mom and dad!

Pattern: Design Source Collections Four Seasons Throws
Yarn: Manos Wool, 15 skeins total; 119 was the variegated color and the solids were 11, 14, 30, 37 and 64
Needles: Addi US 9
Measurements: Approximately 45" by 70"
Started: February 24, 2007
Finished: November 30, 2007
Other Details: Each color has a different stitch pattern - which kept the project interesting. You knit this in strips so it is much easier to manage while knitting. Seaming the strips together wasn't easy, especially the third strip, but its totally worth it in the end.

14 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! your afghan is gorgeous, I love it!!! Lucky your parents!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Bertha said...

Wow, I wish I had something like that to cuddle under, it's so beautiful and cozy looking!!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Abby said...

gorgeous.
luv Abby

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jersey Shore Deb said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I have the pattern book and all of my Manos colors to make this afghan; it just keeps being moved to the bottom of my queue. I also have mostly solids and one variegated, but in "fall" colors (burgundies, golds, browns). Now you've motivated me to get started!
Did you knit it in strips as the pattern suggests? Did you then sew together, or use some other method?

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Home's Jewels said...

what a treasure!!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Thea said...

beautiful - and even hanukkah colors!

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job! It is gorgeous!! :)

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Adrienne said...

That is such a gorgeous afghan! I love the colours that you used. Your parents are very lucky!

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Peacock Chic said...

wow! Great job on the afghan. You can also say that you are always giving them a big hug since it is knit is manos (hands).

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger Acornbud said...

What a great project. Looks so cuddly and warm.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Brenda in Toronto said...

wow! lucky recipients :)

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

It is absolutely beautiful!

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dani,
The afghan was well worth waiting for!!!It is absolutely gorgeous and I love it so. I had it wrapped around me yesterday in our 15 degree Colo. weather and felt your arms wrapped around me also. Thank you so much sweetie -I will treasure it for the rest of my life. I love u so.
Mom

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home