Friday, May 20, 2005

Aran Pocketbook Debut

The bag is done and I had a great time sewing the whole thing together! I think its really interesting how the strap also forms the sides of the bag. I think I will use this alot seeing as though the bag can handle the weight of my normal everyday pocketbook items. And now for the stats:

Reynolds Lopi yarn in color #0085, knit on size 8 needles. The pattern is from Bags, A Knitters Dozen, and designed by Edie Eckman. I used 1/4 yard of fabric for the lining and a cool button from my LYS!

The only thing I am not thrilled about is the lining. I love the fabric, but its just not sewn in great. I think I made it a bit big, so it doesn't lie completely flat inside the bag unless there are things in it. I also decided to line the flap which made it a bit more complicated. I used a beige thread, which I think looks nice. So, does anybody have any suggestions for how to tack this lining down into the bottom corners? I tried to sew it down last night, but it didn't work to well.



10 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very hip!
cara
earth mother

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bag looks wonderful! Maybe to tack down the lining, do a couple stitches from the corners of the lining through to the corners of the bag?

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW that turned out really cute. Love that pattern. I bet you look great carry it around. I'm a bit jealous that it's not mine. =0)

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO YOU! turned out awesome!!! Wish I could offer some tacking advice, but erm, I'm just leaning how to seam stuff LOL

Happy Friday - enjoy your weekend!!

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh! I LOVE it. Must...make...one...for ....myself. :) Great job!

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Dani said...

When I made my knitted bag with a lining, I just whip stitched each corner through the yarn and the farbric. It helps too if you iron all the seams flat - it makes it lie a little better.

Such a pretty bag - a great way to show off your knitting talents!

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! You've inspired me to make one for my Mom! I have the same book and it's great. :-)

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks beautiful!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Thank you everyone for leaving such nice comments! For some reason, most of you are showing up as anonymous and its not letting me respond through email. I just want to say that I truely appreciate all the input! Happy weekend!

 
At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! I thought the lining looked great when I saw it yesterday, but I understand. I can show you some blindstitching and other tricks when I come up next week, if you're interested. :-D
amandamonkey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home