Saturday, May 07, 2005

Oregon and Back Again

I'm back, I'm exhausted, and I missed my blog (not to mention the BF and my kitties)! My trip was a whirlwind experience, but I learned alot of new things about my job and this specific project I am working on outside of Cottage Grove, OR. I will post some pictures next week, once I get those from another co-worker. Until then, checkout this for a picture (mind you, it wasn't sunny)! I spend a morning trekking around Dorena Lake looking at the site and then the afternoon and evening in meetings at a Community College nearby. More importantly though, I learned a few things about being a traveler who knits.. or is it a knitting traveler?

1. There is always another knitter on your flight and there is always someone who hates knitters on your flight. (i.e. The woman who was knitting a baby blanket and the man who asked what has tranced the, achem, stay at home moms to suddenly take up this dull habit.. I had a lot to say to him, don't worry!)
2. Don't try to knit on a CRJ900 with a 350 lb. man sitting next to you.
3. I've timed out flights by how much you can knit vs. actual hours. For example: Boston to Denver is half a hat. Boston to Pheonix is 4 inches on a sock. Now these are not "knit as fast as you can" knitting estimates. There is room for 1/2-1 hr of sleeping and staring out the window time. There is no meal time included because they starve you on planes nowadays.
4. Beware of turbulence. Enough said.
5. Always remember to bring hand lotion on a plane when you are knitting. The dry air in planes causes hands and cuticles to disinegrate.
6. When you depart the plane, don't let the pilot see you with your knitting. He might ask you for a plane steering wheel cover (I am not joking).

I promise I will post some pictures tomorrow of the presents I made for my Aunt for Mother's Day. I am almost done with the Airy Scarf #2, but need to block it tonight.

1 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

As someone who just knit most of a sock on varios planes, I can say a big fat amen to #2--especially if said man is "jovial" and keeps "kidding" you about not poking him with your dpns. Hey, big guy, you keep yourself on your side of the seat and I won't have to, ok?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home