Sunday, May 22, 2005

Two Is Better Than One

Its kind of sad, but I feel the same sense of accomplishment that I felt when I finished my Master's thesis (ok, maybe on a smaller scale)! I never knew that a pair of socks would have this effect on me. I do understand the second sock syndrome now and how hard it really is to push through and finish (especially when you aren't thrilled with the sizing of the first)! These socks were made using the Classic Socks by Yankee Knitter pattern and Fortissima Cotton color 742 (almost two skeins). I used size 1US double pointed needles and adjusted the pattern some (I started with 68 stitches instead of 64 which was the largest size). Some things I learned from these socks are:

1. Don't assume that because it is small, it is easy and will be a quick knit.
2. I understand the benefits of the Magic Loop method.
3. Always cast on the second sock right when you finish the first.
4. Don't be dissapointed when you knit 30 rounds and only come up with two inches.
5. Remember that I have wider feet than the average Joe... take this into account in the future.

Anyhow, I am glad these two socks are done. I have four new skeins of sock yarn that I am just dying to knit with, though I am not sure I am quite ready to cast on another pair yet. I need to find a better pattern, one that is a bit more detailed than this Yankee sock pattern, but simple enough to use with stripey yarn (is stripey even a word??? I like to make up words!). If anyone has any pattern suggestions, I am all ears! I have some great pictures from our trip to Smithville in NJ yesturday, but will post tomorrow. I even (by request from Whispering Pine) have some pictures modeling my new bag!


10 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Cute socks! They look great Dani

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

socks look good,I always get a bunch of books in the library and look up sock patterns for myself.I know knitting on the road is a great book,and also folk socks
cara
earth mother

 
At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did a GREAT JOB on those socks, wonder if I will ever be able to do that? :) We'll see, you at least give me HOPE. Thanks for sharing " what you've learned. Tink

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look great! Aren't socks the best??

PS- I'm sure you know this, but there is an excellent multi-sized sock pattern in Ann Budd's Knitter's Book of Handy Patterns if you're looking for a larger pattern.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Thanks everyone! I just got home from NJ and PA and I am exhausted from all the driving time. I am so happy they are done.. yay! I really appreciate your support :)

 
At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ann Budd's book is my first choice also, for almost any simple pattern! If you don't have it handy, the best simple sock pattern I know of is free on the Lion Brand website. It's what I used for my first socks and it's still my favorite pattern. I often recommend it to beginners. Enjoy the socks!

Johanna
Jofrog is Knitfrog

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Yay! Great socks. And they sure look like they fit fine--but looks and feel can be diffferent, I know.

If you're interesting in learning the short-row method, see if you can find Priscilla Gibson-Roberts's Simple Socks Plain and Fancy--she came up with a formula that allows you to toally custom-fit your socks based on foot length & circumference. Once you've got that down you can sub in any stitch pattern, and they'll fit perfectly!

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look great. I just cast-on my first one and already have to rip! Excellent job!

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous... I haven't yet had the nerve to attempt socks. I don't know why they scare me so much! Personally, I think they turned out great :)

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh LOVE the socks! What perty colors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home