Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Spread The Warmth

I've never been a huge mitten fan, but Eunny has converted me this winter! My Anemoi mittens are so lovely that I was actually psyched to see snow last Thursday morning. I am really proud of myself for finishing these while its still cold outside, but also because this was really my first attempt at Fair Isle.




The only thing I really changed on these was the thumb. On the first one, I had accidentally started carrying the border lines up the inside of the thumb. Then, I realized that I actually liked how that looked so I left it. As I knitted more and more, I gained a better understanding of why its important to hold the contrast color in the same position the whole time. The second mitten was knit with this in mind and, let me tell you, I can see the difference in the two mittens. I had switched back and forth a few times with the first mitten and the changes are noticeable to me. Not a biggy, but I see what you are all talking about finally!

And since there is snow, let there be a pretty one hand in mitten picture...



Pattern: Anemoi Mittens by Eunny Jang
Yarn: Matchmaker 4 ply in 661 and 754
Measurements: Medium
Started: January 3, 2007
Finished: February 19, 2007
Other Details: I absolutely loved knitting these! I learned how to properly knit Fair Isle and how to do a tubular cast on.

18 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Whoa, those are gorgeous! Your first stranded project? Whoa, most excellent -- well done!!

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to start my own pair - yours are an inspiration!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Just beautiful!!! Love the neutrals; they work well with the pattern (and the snow!).

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe this is your first fairisle project. They are lovely, the colours are very soft and appealing - nice change from all the very bright Anemoi mitts I've seen. I've been entertaining trying fairisle for a while now - You've inspired me to give it a whirl :).

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! They're on my list. Maybe it's time. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger amandamonkey said...

Lovely. gorgeous!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Your mittens are absolutely lovely! Perhaps I should stop procrastinating and make a pair for myself :) Beautiful job.

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful mittens!

;)

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger gabriella said...

man those are awesome. and now you're going to show me how to do fair isle, right? heh heh...good luck. i did get a cool stranded knitting thumb thing to keep the colors separated from may last week at knitsmiths (how cool is she??) so that might very well help. but seriously, "for dumbies"-esque tutorials (and perhaps some of dina's cupcakes and a beer?) will be necessary... :) ~gabriella

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger alison said...

I spotted those in person on Sunday and was waaaay impressed. Gorgeous!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Thea said...

those are amazing! I don't ever desire fair isle stuff, but those.... yep, those. Also, thanks for getting Anna back on her blog! I'd wondered where she'd gotten to.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

The mittens look amazing!

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger AsKatKnits said...

Dani, how did you learn the tubular cast on... I am struggling with it!!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Such beautiful mittens!

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, sorry i am late to the party, but bloglines decided to eat up some of my feeds and i didn't realize it until today...

i love the colors you picked for your mittens--they turned out so well!

also, re: the wedding (i lost your email address, too, can you tell i'm a walking disaster), everything is finally coming together. just six more weeks to go! the thing i'm looking forward to most is the honeymoon ;) how about you--how's everything coming along for your big day?

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dani - those mittens are beautiful. I love the colorways!

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger kathy b said...

Wow. First fair isle attempt is incredible. Just lovely. Came to your blog from Quiet Life Donna.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Peacock Chic said...

Beautiful job on the mittens. I love the color choice, very subdued and matches everything.

I can't wait to start making mine, sadly it will not be cold enough to wear them as I live in California and it is going to be 80 degrees today :O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home