Thursday, February 22, 2007

See My Vest


I finally managed to finish the Jo Sharp Vest.... yes, it took me 6 months. This was one of those projects that you get excited about and start knitting before you really think about the project overall. It was boring, very boring since it was a slow go on a US3. Now, don't get me wrong, I prefer to knit on smaller needles, but I lost interest very quickly with all that rib! I knit this in the round up to the armpit, then divided and knit seperately. I am happy it's done and that it fits well. I really couldn't have done much better size-wise. So, you ask, will I be wearing it tons?! Probably not. I was unsure about how this would look on me, since things that have ribbing around the waist/hip area actually make me look bigger. Scott keeps on telling me I'm crazy, but I think most importantly, I don't feel super comfortable in it. I wore it to work yesterday at the yarn store and I just kept on checking, pulling, looking... not a good way to live. So, we'll see.. I'll be optimistic :)



Pattern: V-Neck Vest from Jo Sharp Knit 1
Yarn: 6 balls Alpaca Silk Georgette in Kelp
Measurements: I started off with the smallest size for the rib, and then increased up to the 36" chest size
Started: August 26, 2006
Finished: February 18, 2007
Other Details: I changed a few things about this pattern. First off, I started out with the smallest size and increased up to the medium size. I added about 1.5" in length to the body after the rib ends. I also did a three needle bind off for the shoulders and picked up less stitches around the neck (I ended up with about 180 instead of 210). Questions?! Just email me :)

Whats next you ask?! Well, since my big order of yarn never came this week, I've had some more knitting time on my hands. I also finished my mittens, which will debut soon as well :) Sweet.

15 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks fantastic! I hope you get more comfortable in it. The color and fit look really good!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger dorothee said...

The vest looks just gorgeous on you!

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't spose your title is from the simpson's episode where mr burns is collecting exotic animal skin clothing?

"See my vest, see my vest, made from real gorilla chest...."

Yours looks lovely and entirely un-gorilla-like!!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I think it's very cute - love the color. Also, that's one of my favorite simpsons eps EVER.

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's sad but true that we are always our own harshest critics....the vest looks super on you, and does not make your hips look big AT ALL.

Someday, after you've had a few kids and hit the big 4-0, you will look back and think "wow, why was I so hard on myself? I looked GREAT!!"

jenn

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

Sorry, but I have to side with the hubby on this one....the vest looks GREAT on you and if I were tiny as you I would wear it every day!!! Mary Darlene :)

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Marlena said...

I think that vest looks great on you!

I'd also like to thank you for putting "See My Vest" into my head. I'll have to watch that episode when I get home.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

I think you look fantastic in the vest!! Love that color...

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Terri Lynn said...

Looks great on you and you are adorable in it, I love the green, it's especially nice on you, but i am a big green fan.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Thea said...

I'm still laughing from the gorilla chest thing, but just wanted to say it was worth the #3s.

Looks perfect - color, fit and a flattering style! If only my green vesty had turned out to be such a success! (although my sis IS happy...)

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I think the Jo Sharp vest looks great on you, and I dont know where you think it makes you look bigger. I like the look of the ruffled jacket too, although I agree with not making the ends hang down like that.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger alison said...

Hooray! It looks awesome on you!! I think you've convinced me to try making one of these for myself. So, just how horrible was all that ribbing? ;0)

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Your vest looks really nice. I have the yarn for this but have yet to cast on, I hope you don't mind if I use some of your tips when I eventually do make it! Like knitting in the round etc. I have not seen any other finished ones yet.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with you. That ribbing should probably have been done differently. If you have to keep pulling at it, then it's not working the way it was intended. I like the color.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like vests, and I don't like light green - but you DO look great! :)

a fellow knitter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home