Friday, April 22, 2005

Call Me Crazy

Frustration grows tonight as my felting process is slowly turning into a nightmare. I thought felting was for dummies... who knew! Well, I don't think its the felting, I think its something wrong with my knitting. See, I knit fine on regular ol' straight needles. But if you throw a pair of circulars in my hands, all my knitting ends up slanted (see picture below). Does anyone know why this happens or have a similar problem?! I know I do knit backwards compared to most people. Instead of wrapping the yarn around the needle in a counter-clockwise direction, I do it in a clockwise. There appears to be no difference in the stitch, but maybe it causes a slant?! I think this slant has caused my felting to pull this way and that and now I have a bag with strap slits that don't match up and an, overall, weirdly shaped bag. Oh, poor bag, its been such a long journey and I hate for you to not be perfect... I am sorry! Hopefully I get an A+ for shaping and it turns out fine in the end. I will let you know tomorrow! I also still have (achem) 80 inches (yes I said inches) of the strap left to do (I have only knit 10 so far)so that might hold up the finished product a day or two, but at this point, I am in no rush after a frustrating night.


3 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know whats causing your slanting (too inexperienced to even guess) BUT I can tell you your shaping will probably have lots of impact. I know I was bad and didnt get my pics up yet (TOMORROW for sure, cross my heart and all that) but you will see, weird prefelted shapes arent always a bad thing. My only regret on my bag is that it isnt taller. I think yours will be fine!!!

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to twist my purl stitches. I know a lot of knitting is do-what-works, but this is something you probably want to fix! : ) Like Lolly said, just look closely at a tutorial in a book or find one online. It was really weird having to re-learn purling -- it took me a while to get used to it again -- but I liked my stitches much better afterwards, and I'm proud of the time I took to make the change. Good luck! ;)

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Dani said...

Thanks everyone for giving me advice. I think my problem was what I though it was all along. Instead of wrapping the yarn around the needle counter-clockwise, I was doing it clockwise. When I knit on straight needles its fine because when I slant one way, the next row pulls it back. HOwever, when I knit on circulars its always on the same side and continually gets slanted in the same direction... if that makes sense. Anyways, that is the only thing I think I am doing wrong. Everything I am knitting right now is on straight needles, so I will have to wait until the next project to do a test of faith!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home