Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Day of Waves

I am sitting pretty today in my new Wave Skirt! This was a fun, quick knit that uses a fabulous yarn! The pattern was by Kat Coyle and published in Spring 2005 IK. I used Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in colors #585 (Wolverine Blue, 2 skeins), #610 (Nymph, 1 skein), #460 (Jungle Green, 1 skein), #790 (Columbine Blossom, 1 skein) and #620 (Banana, 1 skein). The pattern calls for three different needles sizes (5,6,7) and I only used the 5 and 6 circulars. I also shortened it a bit because I wanted it to hit right above the knee while being able to wear it low on the waist.

The dimensions for both the front and back after blocking are: 13" across waist, 17" across prior to the start of the wave pattern, 26" across at bottom edge, and 20" long from top to bottom.

The one "mistake" I made was omitting the eyelet pattern on the waist where the drawstring was supposed to go! Now, I am left with a skirt that doesn't quite stay up! I am planning on adding in some elastic thread to the rib, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to keep this skirt up, let me know (ok, Blossom, you were right on this one!) All in all, I am extremely happy with this skirt!

On another note, I am going to be up in the White Mountains for field work until Thursday afternoon, so I will catch you all on the other side! Have a fabulous week :-)!






And before I leave, I need to post my answers for the Gimme Some Needle Exchange hosted by the lovely Catherine! So, here you go Secret Pal!

1. What do you like to knit or crochet? (socks, sweaters, etc.) My favorite things to knit as of today (it changes practically daily) are socks, anything with a lace pattern and bags.
2. What fibers do you like? I love anything natural besides itchy wool.
3. What type of needles do you use most often? Well, I used to enjoy both straight and circulars, but am just recently veering more towards circulars.
4. Do you like to knit in the round? You bet!
5. Do you use a magic loop method or any other we should know about? Are you interested in learning a new method? I just learned magic loop a few weeks ago and I am loving it! I have only one pair of Addi's... a size 1 40"
7. Do you have a favorite place that you shop online? (knitpicks.com, knitpixie.com, jimmybeanswool.com....)?oooh, KnitPicks.

21 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love, love, love it! Oh my...it is just too cute!!!!! I wonder if I can find this magazine anywhere. Hmm...going to have to call the LYS on Tuesday. :)

Have fun in the mountains and don't work too hard!

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came out wonderful (as does all your stuff!) Have a safe trip and squeeze some fun in while you're away!! (What WIPs are you bringing?)

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Love it, Dani! I liked the skirt's colors when I saw it in IK--but I like yours even better! question--do you find the feather-and-fan parts see-through? I was on the fence about knitting it because I didn't want to have to fiddle around with adding a lining...

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual the skirt looks great! You have that knitting magic don't you :) I'd be afraid to try knitting a skirt - I know I know I'm afraid of everything ;) - mostly because I have a rather round rump and I'd be worried it wouldn't fall right. Shirts I can figure out - my and my rump have to buy store bought items for right now ;) Though it is so tempting because you made it look so purty!

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that turned out great - and fast! Hmmm, I might have to think about that one myself ... Well done!

--SP

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! Great color combo and great fit. Enjoy!

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That a really fast knit! It looks great on you, and I love the colors you chose :-)

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! And I'm liking your colors more than the ones in IK--I pretty much skipped over that pattern but now I know that it can look good. :)

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute! This is one of the few times I've seen a knitted skirt and actually thought it looked good... Nice job. :)

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger Laura.Y said...

it's really cute! :) I like it very much. Here's a suggestion. 2 actually.
1.) If you could afford to take about half an inch off the skirt, fold down half an inch of the skirt inwards at the top, insert the elastic tape and stitch/crochet the folded end in?
2.) Fold in 1/4 inch outwards, crochet it and leave a small opening at the front. String a nice string through so you can tie it at the front?

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHH! I LURV it! It's totally gorgeous!

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that skirt!! I'm going to have to get that issue of IK. I just bought summer 05, and spring 03 so I guess I will have to go grab a few others soon.
Congrats on your finished project... it looks great on you!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Lorette said...

That is so cute! Could you sew a hem facing length to the inside of the waistband area, then run a drawstring through that? Or pick up stitches on the top edge and knit another half inch or so in the upward direction, adding the eyelets?

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

verry nice! looks great on you too.
cara
earth mother

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Oooh, it looks great! I think some elastic thread would work perfectly. I love the colours

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

OMG it looks soooo great! great pics to show it off too, your going to be able to wear that alot... if it stays up that is:)

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's pretty! I like your colors too, not the usual pink/yellow/orange combination. It definitely looks comfy!

P.S. Love your Trekking XXL socks and am massively envious! Where did you buy the yarn?

- MJ

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Lynette said...

Wow, the Wavy looks really great on you! I've shied away from knitting any skirts but yours may has just changed my mind.

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger alltangledup said...

it came out wonderful. stupid question , but can you unpick the first 10 rows on the waist, pick up the stitches and do the eyelet thingy? I wouldn't suggest that you knit and sew it on and I probably wouldn't use elastic since it'll add bulk to the waist.

Looks lovely on you .. oh to be young and slim again ;-)

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Love the skirt - it looks fantastic on you. I also love that sock - great colors. And Happy Birthday to Kali and Soma!! That picture with the birthday candle...awwwww. :-)

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Bear Knits said...

The skirt looks great on you! I love the colors you picked.

Winnie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home