Tuesday, November 01, 2005

What A Way To Go....

The Chevron Scarf is finished! It is sooooooooo long! I mean, I didn't want to waste the gorgeous handpainted yarn, so I just kept on going until I ended up with around 85". The pattern states that it should be 77" long, but I also didn't want to do the head wrap thing. It looks great if you just wrap it around your neck a few times, or do the slide through. I hope the person that this is going to loves it! Since its so long, I wasn't sure how to really take some decent pictures, so here are some car shots on the way to Mountain Colors.




And the project details:
Pattern: Chevron Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
Yarn: An unknown handpainted yarn that was gifted to me last year
Measurements: 6 inches wide by 85 inches long
Started: October 18, 2005
Finished: October 31, 2005
Other Important Details: I knit this scarf using a single color, rather than alternating two similar but differernt colorways. Its a bit longer than the pattern recommends, but it will be great to wrap about the head a few times. I knit this on size 6 needles and got gauge at 5.5 stitches per inch.. making it a dk weight yarn.

Here is a picture of me wearing the scarf right after we arrived at Mountain Colors...



And now for the exciting stuff! Okay, these women are AMAZING! Diane and Leslie, you guys rock! Everyone that worked there was so friendly, and they pulled Scott and I right into their dye room where we were witness to a huge batch of yarn being dyed. Their setup was very interesting and gave me some perspective on how I could improve. To start out though, here is a picture of their sign and the little store inside :) The store had some great mill ends and some colors I have never seen in person before!



As you walk in, you move past these long walls of drying racks. Look at all the gorgeous colors drying!



Now, here is the good stuff. The 101 on Mountain Colors is that they have two washing machines that they just use to soak the yarn with (just fill, let sit, and drain). Then they lay out all the yarn in that batch on this long table which you can see in the big picture below. They handdye all of them at the same time and then steam them in these big commercial pasta containers over hot plates. How creative! You can see the hotplates and some undyed yarn in the two smaller pictures :) The only thing I was a little unsure of, is whether they wrap them in cellophane or not. I don't think they do, and just wonder how they manage to not felt?! Hmm, maybe I will have to ask them about that.




Anyways, it was really an incredible experience. Diane was so helpful and was very excited to hear that I started selling my dyed yarns. She said she is definitely going to take a look... Wow, Mountain Colors looking at MY yarns! Yikes! She said that they started in her kitchen just selling to whoever would buy, and then decided to get some sales reps after a year and a half. Then, they moved into a larger studio and it just grew from there... I truely wish them the best and am so happy that they have become so successful!

And, with all that said, this is what I walked away with! They were ALL OUT OF BEARFOOT believe it or not, so I just settled on a few gorgeous skeins of Mountain Goat.



This is the last of the vacation days... Unfortunately, Scott and I are heading back to Boston tomorrow. I miss the kitties terribly (this is the longest we have been away since we adopted them), but we are bringing them home presents :) I'll catch you all on the other side... Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

20 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger Erin said...

What a great experience seeing Mountain colors! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

 
At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really fun to see their set up. Thanks!

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger amandamonkey said...

gorgeous knit, amazing mountain colors, and I'm so happy that you sound so inspired. I think it keeps proving that you've made the right choice...

 
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scarf is gorg! How awesome to have visited Mountain Colors!!!! Have a great trip home.

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great way to end your vacation.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

The scarf is gorgeous!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Thea said...

It's been fun "traveling" with you - some gorgeous scenery, cool fun facts and now i know more about dying yarn than ever. And, Love the chevron scarf and MC yarns. See you Sun maybe, Thea

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great opportunity and such a cool setup. I'm always surprised to see that these yarn companies that I think of as being so successful and so *commercial* are really just kitchen-sink operations, or were once. It's great to think that you could get to that point someday!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Bear Knits said...

Scarf is gorgeous! Great Mountain Colors pictures and the yarn you picked up is a beaut!

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Laura.Y said...

What a great hol..:) The yarns are to dye for too. Drool.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Wow! What an awesome trip! I'm using some MC bearfoot right now and LOVE it. It must have been amazing to see MC in action. Your scarf is gorgeous, too!

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a wonderful experience... the trip and the visit to Mountain Colors! I'm sure that you, of all people, fully appreciated it. :)

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf is gorgeous - I just love the colors.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

wow! chevoron scarf looks amazing! and what a wonderful exp...! mountain colors has some beautiful yarn, thanks for telling us how they do it:) i am sure the kitties are missing you guys too:)

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of the other posters said - it's been so fun travelling with you! And the scarf is INCREDIBLE - beautiful and WOW :) Nice job!

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops! That anonymous was me ;) Blogger was being stupid

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, beautiful. That looks like so much fun seeing all those colors, all those dyes.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEAVEN!!! I am so happy you had such a great trip! And the scarf? AWESOME as always!

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf is beautiful. I know what you mean about long. I just finished one that is 5"x80". The wrap around the head is a good suggestion. :D

BTW... I was looking through your pix of Mountain Colors & drooling the entire time! What a great time (despite Bearfoot being sold out).

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Mz Mar said...

Your scarf is wonderful!! I love the colors!! Can't seem to find any nice handpainted around here.
Thanks for sharing the photos from Mt.Colors~~~only down side to going there??? I would have wanted it ALL!!! lol~~
Back to knitting!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home