Monday, January 16, 2006

More Sock Love

Some of you may not believe this, but I finally (yes finally) knit myself a pair of socks using my own handpainted yarn! I got super jealous of Scott's new socks the other day and just had to have a pair for myself. So, I dug out 1 skein of the Amazon worsted colorway and went to town while watching the Broncos kick ass (that was for you Johanna!). I knit one sock that night, and one sock yesterday. Voila! A comfy, and quick, pair of socks!

Pretty lighting...




And some normal lighting....




Pattern: The Winter Sock from the Magic Loop Pamphlet
Yarn: Sunshine Yarns in the Amazon worsted colorway
Measurements: Made to fit a women's US 8.5
Started: January 14, 2006
Finished: January 15, 2006
Other Details: I knit these using the Magic Loop Method on size US 5 needles. I did a 7" leg and 7" before the toe decrease. I had about 5 yards of yarn leftover, which cut it pretty close!

Last week I also started the legwarmers from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. It took a few tries to find the right yarn to match my Kidsilk Haze, but I finally managed! Here is what I have so far in the perfect shade of blue:



I also forgot to post about the second Misti Chunky scarf I was making for the store. I never took a picture when it was all done, so you'll have to just live with an in progress shot. It is such a nice yarn to use, and definitely on my top five list of all-time favorites!



Pattern: Misti Alpaca Chunky Diagonal Rib Knit Scarf
Yarn: Misti Alpaca Chunky in color #1321, denim
Measurements: About 5.5" wide and 80" long
Started: January 2, 2006
Finished: January 7, 2006
Other Details: I knit this on US10.5 rather than US11's since it came out to loose on 11's. It does stretch out very easily, so make it wider than what you really want in the end.

23 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Your socks and scarf turned out quite lovely! Looks like the legwarmers are off to a good start, too.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It blows me away how fast you knit those up! And that Amazon colorway is SO pretty!!!

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

Wow, that Amazon yarn is so beautiful! You've got me itching to try my hand at dying.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Thea said...

that amazon colorway is gorgeous!!!
and worsted... that means no little needles - hmmm.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Ok, wow. I rarely use "instant gratification" and "hand-knit socks" in the same sentence, but dang! I'm gonna have to try this -- socks on 5s out of worsted weight yarn...got it.

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Brooklyn Handspun said...

The socks looks great - I love the colorway! I've yet to knit a pair of socks with my handdyed yarn...isn't it funny - once I dye the yarn I feel like it's a finished project! I'm jealous of your quick knitting skills hehee.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Pretty pretty socks! I love the colour of the legwarmers too

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous socks! It's always fun to see the colorways actually knit up.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are quick on those beautiful socks. I also love the scarf.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger The MacKay Way said...

WOW - so quick you were on those socks! Hmmm...I need more time to knit...

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger JJ said...

WOW! Only 1 day to knit those beautiful socks. I wish it got cold enough here to warrant worsted weight socks...

Now I'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to my sock yarn. Still can't decide what I want for ME. Those Rainforest socks were not on my short list of colorways that I LOVE, but they may have to be included.

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those socks! The colors came out wonderfully.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Very pretty projects! Amazon is a beautiful colorway!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

those are great! I just finished my Jaywalkers in Rock Creek and they are super wonderful. Must get more of your yarn! MUST GET MOOORRREEE!!!!!!!

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, not only can you boast about knitting your own socks, but you can boast about using YOUR OWN YARN. Now that's fab. Go you!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Laura.Y said...

wow looks like u r into socks right now too..:) lovely ones too.

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rockin' socks! Love the colors! You're inspiring me to try the magic loop...
Carla

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger --Deb said...

Your socks look beautiful. And, I just got the skein of Slytherin I ordered from you--it looks great. Thank you!

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dani, I was driving into work today and realized that not only do your dusk colorway socks work for just after sunset, but boy do they work for just before sunrise too! The exact colors! (plus a bit or orange) too cool :)

 
At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh you've been BUSY!! Everything looks spectacular - beautiful work!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Wow!Amazon looks great knitted up! I love it...glad I got it! Thanks!

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

hmmmm? i thoguht i left a comment days ago! what i had said was : love the socks! that simple pateern really brings out the colors! the WIP's are beautiful of course ;)

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Dani, I have the same book (but in french ;-) I starded yesterday evening p.95 "col en pashmina". I love too , p55, "jambières très facile" in blue like yours !!!!! But, I am a completly beginner. I would like to learn socks...........!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home