Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Heat Is On

So, as most of you know, I'm from Colorado. My body was trained to deal with moderate temperatures and (the key here people) a dry heat during the summer months. I'm writing this to you from a sweaty apartment where the indoor temperature is currently 94 and the outdoor temperature is 97 with about 90% humidity. There was no chance in hell that I was about to pull out the dye pots today to start steaming yarn... hell no! Instead, I knit for a little while early this morning on my lace shawl I have so diligently been working on. I'm on row 76 out of 222, not bad, not bad. Unfortunately, there is little to show :)



In other news, these last few weeks have been insanely stressful and metally difficult for Scott and I. We have had a few funerals and a couple of family events that have caused me to crack. So, this week I decided to take a step back from it all and breathe (well as best as I can in this weather!).

So, what did I do for myself?! I swam. I went back to my roots, my passion... the sport that made me who I am today. After I retired 4 years ago, I swam a little, and then totally gave it up until this week for one reason or another. But, I feel great, and I think it was exactly what my body needed, not to mention my head.

16 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Jofrog said...

Way to take care of yourself! It's so important, and so easy to overlook. HUGS for a stressful week.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

good job doing something to get you grounded and back again - getting back to the familiar is sometimes a great remedy for what ales mind and body!

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, my thoughts are with you. I have the same instincts as you -- when life gets hectic, I head for the pool. There's something really calming about being surrounded by water, the only sounds are splashes. I can tell my stress index by how much I crave a swim.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Yuk! It is hot all over and I hate it too!

Good for you, stepping back and taking care of you!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Doogle Knits said...

How do you make it without air conditioning? I would absolutely die. I'd also be incredibily grumpy. Swimming is always nice though -- I can take the heat when there is a body of water neaby - perferably the beach.

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the swimming. It's so calming and relaxing for me. I wish Curtis Hall had better hours, I need to get back into it.

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swimming is so wonderful, especially when the heat is on. Take care of yourself - hopefully things will settle down around you soon.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Glad to hear that you found something that works for stress relief - it is so important! Hope you are feeling better

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you took some time for yourself.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

Relax and swim, swim, swim! if anything it will get your mind of the heat! central airconditioning is essintial to living in the south. i forget that not everyone needs it year round, so y'all suffer much worse when the heat comes... lets face it humidity sucks too!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Wannabe said...

Here's to hoping things settle down and that you find rest in your life. Take that time for you and relax. Coming back to your roots is usually a great way to do that...I'll be thinking of you!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Chris said...

It's great that you have something that can do that for you, and that you found it again!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Ugh - that humidity will get me everytime. Feels like I'm melting or something. I don't blame you for not wanting to steam yarn! Your shawl is looking great - I love that color...

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger ames said...

love the blue of the shawl! just received your yarn in waterfall...gorgeous! looks like we're both dreaming of cool water these days. ;] thanks so much for all the goodies too!
a*

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you've had some sad news in your family :( It's good that you know how to diffuse your stress, though; swimming and knitting sound like perfect ways to get your head straight again.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger sillyewe said...

Oh man, so sorry about your losses. It is hard to deal with one thing at a time, but that many, ugh! Anyone would crack. Here's to some *you* time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home