Monday, October 02, 2006

Two For The Team

I've been a busy little knitting bee these past few weeks. Scott left for a two week business trip mid-September, which meant that I could knit him a surprise pair of socks while he was gone! Cute, huh?! Well, a Sunshine Yarns customer recently requested Ohio State custom dyed sock yarn... and, Ohio State happens to be one of the three teams Scott is obsessed with in college football. Put the two together and you get this...




He came home on Friday to a pair of Ohio State socks.. custom dyed and knit to fit his super wide foot. He wore them all weekend with his OHS jersey. Luckily they beat Iowa on Saturday or they might have been deemed unlucky socks! Phew!

Project specs:
Pattern: Just a basic top down sock with a twisted rib cuff and a short row heel and toe
Yarn: Sunshine Yarns in a custom dyed Ohio state colorway!
Measurements: Made to fit a men's US11 double E foot.
Started: September 18, 2006
Finished: September 28, 2006
Other Details: Knit on a 2.5mm with 70 sts for the leg and 74 for the foot. I also wanted to see how far a 450 yard ball of Sunshine Yarns will go (I knew I had 25 repeats to play with). I managed to do an 11" or so leg and had about 20 yards leftover.

Now, if only I had time to knit myself some Broncos or Avalanche socks....hmm....

19 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger peaknits said...

These are great - kind of Dr. Suess-y too!

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Annie said...

Oh, my! I come from a long line of Buckeyes and would love like three skeins of that yarn! Is it just for your sweetie or can the rest of us 'nuts' get in on the action?

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Those look great!! I just got some custom dyed OSU sock the other day, it's more variegated that striping. I like them both :)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Liz said...

hehe, and I'd like some Iowa Hawkeyes yarn, actually! Would your hubby have a fit if you dyed some up? ;)

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Fun!! And glad they were lucky. :)

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

They came out great, Dani!!

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute!!! you did the dyeing so well. -blossom

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Great socks! The colors work great even if you're not a fan! Bronco's sockss would be great for Halloween time too (close to black and orange!)

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger spajonas said...

how great! did you use different yarn for the heel? i love how you managed to keep the stripes perfect.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger beth02116 said...

I'm with Liz! I would LOVE some Iowa Hawkeye sock yarn- say yes!!!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Those turned out great (the yarn and the socks)! I hear you on the wide feet - my husband wears a 9 1/2 EEEE. You should consider doing a line of "school colors" yarn.

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth beat me to it, but you should consider school colors yarns! I'll bet they would fly out the door...around here (SC), stuff in Clemson and Carolina colors sells like hotcakes.

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dani,
Great idea! I would buy some Broncos yarn if you were to dye some up. I have a husband who is quite the fan...
Leah

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go BUCKS!!

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

the socks look great! love the school colors ;)

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Leah, you can count me in as a definite purchaser of broncos sock yarn. What a fun idea! I love the way the blue stripes are set off by white ones.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger amysue said...

My bosses husband is a Buckeye fan, anymore available?

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow those are great! I am so glad that I had you make this for me! I got mine done for my dad last night you can check them out on my blog htp://knitster1.wordpress.com I might have enough left over for matching socks for my mom!! Thanks so much Dani!! I love your yarns!!So does my dad!!

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell me the yarn is available. Where, How, When?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home