Friday, May 09, 2008

Come and Gone

Still busy, still knitting late at night! Last weekend we took a road trip down to New Jersey and Pennsylvania to see Scott's dad and to attend super-friend Taryn's baby shower. We had a great time seeing good friends and family; and now I can finally reveal some of my latest knitted works.

I had this idea early on to make some "Lehigh" colored things for the baby. I'm picturing their little one at their first football game this fall....




Pattern: Classic Cardigan by Debbie Bliss; published in Essential Baby
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, color #011, 3 balls
Needles: Addi circular 3.0mm and 3.25mm
Measurements: 3-6 month size, 19" chest
Started: April 10, 2008
Finished: May 1, 2008
Other Details: So, so cute! I added about a half inch to the body length and sleeves.

I needed a beautiful baby blanket to go along with everything else. Of course all I had to do was open on of my favorite books, Itty Bitty Nursery, by Susan B. Anderson. Susan got it right again; a simple easy to knit design, with gorgeous and unique details. I was in a bit of a time crunch last week trying to finish this up.. Lots of late night knitting, and then hours and hours the night before and morning of the shower to finish up the embroidery (please people, leave yourself more than eight hours to do the circles). After knitting like crazy and doubting the chocolate brown in there all darn week, the final product - well, I love it.





Pattern: Circles and Stripes Baby Blanket by Susan B. Anderson; published in Itty Bitty Nursery
Yarn: Blue Sky Organic Cotton colors #81, #80 and #621
Needles: Addi cicular US8
Measurements: One size; around a 34" square
Started: April 22, 2008
Finished: May 3, 2008
Other Details: I didn't knit each block seperately; I did two strips and seamed them together. The border went quicker than I thought overall, and took more yarn than stated in the pattern. I used about 3.5 balls of Sand #81, and two balls of each of the other two. Don't skip out on the embroidery, it really makes it special :)

And, some final pictures - many of the knitted gifts that made their way into Taryn's hands:



Making good use of all that orange paper:

9 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger Sue said...

Oh the cardigan is just adorable, the blanket looks stunning and I love that you used chocolate brown for both. I think it is a great modern color for babies. The teddy bear is adorable too.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger knitting elephant said...

Wow! Almost makes me wish I were your pregnant friend so I could get all those goodies! Almost. Everything looks great and works so perfectly together! Very nice.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Once again you have put together the most spectacular baby gift for your friend. I am in awe of your knitting and I love the idea of doing the strips to make fewer seams. You are a beautiful knitter.
I already added the yarn amount correction into the errata, so thanks for the heads up on that.
You really are inspiring and that Debbie Bliss simple brown cardi is about the sweetest thing I have ever seen.
Love it all, Dani, good work.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Looks fantastic, Dani! I love the colors you chose for the baby set. Bright colors are always fun to knit with, but I remember the over-load of neon-colored gifts I received at my baby shower and imagine that some tasteful, muted knits would have been a welcome relief! :) The chocolate and tans that you picked look perfect!
Great Job!

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the blanket--I am sure Mom & baby will love it!!

Rene'

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Jofrog said...

You are a fabulous friend. The people who can truly call you a friend are in a lucky minority. You are a unique creature. There should be more Danis!

I'm sure Taryn's baby already knows how much he/she is loved, certainly your knitting friends know!

Knit on.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger spajonas said...

the blanket is super spectacular! you're right.. don't skip the embroidery. it really does make it extra special. beautiful set of gifts!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Adorable baby knits! I haven't seen that book, but that baby blanket alone is reason enough to investigate. And the orange paper rocks.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

I love the way the blanket came out! The embroidery really makes it perfect! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home