Thursday, July 28, 2005

Bags and Socks, Socks and Bags

First things first, my cousin Rachel came over to knit with me the other night and look what she is doing!!! She is making a bag made out of recycled plastic bags (okay, I am totally blanking on the official pattern name)! The pattern is from Simple Knits With A Twist, by Erika Knight. I am so proud of her... partly because I taught her how to knit, but also because she has only been knitting since late last year. So, congrats Rachel on almost being done with an awesome project. I will post a picture of the completely finished version soon since you can only see the bag pieces below.




As for my knitting, I finished my Trekking socks today and am super happy with how they turned out! They are really comfortable and colorful and went super quick with the Magic Loop method. A bunch of you have asked me where I bought this yarn... I got it online from The Knitter. This online store is great and is based out of Boulder, CO, so how could I not support my hometown?!

In terms of a pattern, I sort of used the Winter Sock pattern in the Magic Loop pamphlet, but mainly did it on my own. I used size 1US needles, and 64 stitches. The leg part is 7 inches long, the heel is 2.5 and the foot is 6.5 before the toe decreases. Hooray socks!







As for the next few days, I plan on starting the Field of Flowers shawl (I did try to start one already, but got hung up on the crocheted cast on) and some more socks. I am also going to dye some more yarn if I am in town this weekend. We might be heading up to Maine on Saturday morning. Oh, and I am going to see Tom Petty tomorrow night.. how fun!! Have a good Friday and weekend everyone!

17 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are gorgeous!! I hope you get a lot of wear out of them.

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only are the socks **gorgeous**, you took excellent photographs to show off their best features. Congrutulations!

Side note: I started to read your blog quickly and for a second thought that YOU had taught Erika Knight to knit! I had to backtrack after you said that she hadn't been knitting that long :).

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

OK, the bag bag is way too cool! And the socks are gorgeous. I love that they're not perfectly matched stripe-for-stripe. I SO want to learn to knit socks!

And, YAY, MAINE! I finally get to go home for a visit next weekend. In the meantime, say hi to my state for me. =)

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray pretty socks! I'm jealous. =0) They are really cute. You are going to have so many nice handknit socks to wear this winter. LUCKY YOU!

Have a great time at the concert. "See" you on Monday!

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love those socks - they're like a rainbow, yay! and definitely do show pics of the finished recycled bag - that always seemed like a cool pattern, but i've never seen any actually made.

;)

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just have to say I LOVE the socks!!! That bag looks awesome!! And *TAG!* You're it!!

You've been tagged!! See my post from 7/28/05 for more details :)

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Dani said...

Great socks Dani, they fit you perfectly! And the colours are fantastic! Are you going to be in Bath, Maine by any chance? Perhaps a visit to Halcyon??

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

ohhh i love them! i need trekking now! i am finished with my first kool aid sock and showed it off at my snb last night! yeah me, magic loop methos is the best! i am on the cuff of the second sock now. ilove the recycled bag! can't wait to see it finished!!!!!

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice socks! I loooove how they are non-identical. plus they look super comfy :-)

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Anna said...

Ohhh, your socks bring a smile to my face. The colours look great, I love that each sock is unique. Well done!

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone has been doing a lot of shopping to get all of those different colors of bags!

I still like the colors in those socks, and they finished up beautifully!

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Love those socks! Great job!
I saw that on tv once. Knitting with plastic bags! I wanted to try it but totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder! It is turning out really cool!

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bag bag is awesome! I must check out that pattern again. Thanks for reminding me!

Nice socks too. I love the subtle striping. Have a great weekend!

Johanna
Jofrog is Knitfrog

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger savannahchik said...

Awesome socks! I love how the ribs travel all the way down the foot too.

Trekking is such a beautiful yarn.

 
At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks are great; I have the same wool and I am inspired to cast on straight away!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Ms. Lance-a-lot said...

Dani! THe socks! Look at them! How cool are those socks! I can feel how soft they are just by looking at them...I adore them being sock cousins!

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Iris said...

Ha! I did the same as Grumperina above! Thought you were so proud of Erika Knight because you had taught her to knit.
I've been eyeing that Trekking colorway for awhile wanting to order it, but then stumbled across it locally a few days ago. Some of my first socks knit from "sock yarn" were almost EXACTLY like that yarn, but that was about 10 years ago now. The two pairs that I made for my SIL and I from it are worn through and gone. Actually, I think my SIL still has one in her sock drawer even though she can't wear it anymore.
I love how yours turned out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home