Saturday, July 30, 2005

An Ode to Lace

"Well some say life will beat you down, break your heart, steal your crown. So I've started out, for God knows where, I guess I'll know when I get there. I'm learning to fly, around the clouds, but what goes up must come down." -Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne

Needless to say, it was a magical night at Tom Petty. It was almost as if I was dreaming, or maybe that was just the five shot rum and coke talk'in.... I am exhausted today from all the dancing and screaming! If you have not seen Tom Petty, you must.. and I swear to you its worth every penny.

Since Scott and I had the whole day off yesterday, we made use of the gorgeous day by heading to the park! I started knitting my Go With the Flow Socks out of Summer 2005 IK. We had a great time and even got a chance to play some Frisbee! Yes, a Frisbie playing Frisbee, can you imagine that?! This is my favorite park in Boston since you get a great view of the city and have lots of nice grass and trees, not to mention blackberry bushes! Does anyone know what park I am talking about?! If you guess, you get a prize! Oh, and see Scott sitting there on our blanket in the far right side of the pic?!





And, since that picture was from yesterday morning, here is a more up to date picture of my socks. I am just about halfway done with the leg.



Also, my order came in from Knit Picks today! I wanted to see how their new lace yarns stacked up again the Alpaca Cloud (which I LOVE). So, I bought a few skeins in a few different colors (Lost Lake, Sunset and Vineyard) of the new Shadow lace weight yarn that is 100% merino. The colors aren't very accurate in my pictures (see the Knit Picks site for better color representation). All in all, go with the Alpaca Cloud if you want something super soft! The Shadow yarn is a bit thicker, has nice color accents and comes in great colors, but the Alpaca Cloud is definitely softer due to it being made out of baby alpaca. Personally, I will use both and there are some new colors in the Shadow series that are absolutely gorgeous (great fall colors too).



I also wanted to see what the new Gossamer lace weight yarn looks like, so I ordered four different colors. The yarn is the same, but the Gossamer has the variegated appeal. Okay people, can you say bright colors! Wow! Its really pretty, but I just can't picture a shawl in the Rose Garden (the red, orange and yellow) colorway. Maybe I just need to see it knit up first. My favorite colorway out of the ones I ordered is Blue Jeans. If you like blue, go for this one!



And last but not least, I ordered some of their new sock yarn called Essential. This stuff is great and comes in, well, essential colors! I will probably use this to make some manly socks for my dad or my Uncle. The colors seen below are Dusk and Cocoa.

12 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great color you chose for the socks. I just got that back issue of IK in the mail yesterday! I'll have to try that pattern out. And you are collecting quiet the stash! I love all the colorful ones!!

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your new sock - the color is lovely. I need to try one of these lacy sock patterns soon. Thanks for the yarn reviews - the up-close photo of Shadow makes it look like a nice yarn :-)

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what I am more envious of. The great selection of yarn you have or the fact that you got to see Tom Petty.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I'll have to check if he's coming to the west coast.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When does Sock Camp start? I will be the 1st to sign up!!

Love the socks, the yarns and am SO happy to hear you had fun. Not a huge Petty fan but I have heard his shows are awesome!

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my favorite park too, since Java the Pup is allowed to romp off leash! I've spent many a weekend day sitting by the Copper Beech on the hill knitting and reading while the pup enjoys the outdoors. Where were you? Larz Anderson (in Brookline).

That Knitpicks yarn is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to going off my yarn diet so I can try some.

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thanks for telling us about the yarns,I can tell by your pictures how bright they are,some of those items I'm going to have to buy myself!
cara

 
At 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that Gossamer yarn is incredible!! I love bright colors - and I LOVE the pink/purple one and the blue...do you think that yarn would knit up good for like, gloves or something? It just looks so yummy!

And I had to say THANK YOU for the RAOK you sent me!!! Things are getting crazier by the day as I get ready to move and I really appreciate the thought :) You're so sweet!!!

*HUGS*!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger soapy said...

That isn't Franklin Park is it???

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger soapy said...

Love your socks! Great job and the yarn look very kwel! I bet Tom Petty was totally AWESOME~~ wonder how old he's getting to be these days?

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a totally AWESOME yarn order. I haven't tried any KnitPicks yarn, but I want to! Can't wait to see your creations!!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger alltangledup said...

hmmm, I see that shade of green again ;-)

lovely haul .. the blue and green variegated ones are stunning but the uni-colour ones are to die for

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i love those socks you're making! thanks for purchasing all that knit picks and giving us the skinny:) it is very much appreciated!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home