Monday, August 08, 2005

Holy Squares Batman!

This is probably the most basic baby blanket ever, but don't try this if you hated the movie Groundhogs Day. Yes my friends, count it... 56 3x3 inch squares of garter stitch (lets see, I have 11 done, so that would be 45 more... ugg). Mind you, this is also for a co-worker who was drooling over the pictures when the book was delivered to my office. I am basing this blanket off of the Garter Stitch baby blanket pattern in Debbie Bliss's Baby Knits For Beginners. I am making the blocks square rather than slighty rectangular and am also making them bigger overall. So, you would think, easy, simple, she's got it under control... right?! Think again.

Stupid me didn't buy enough yarn. I obviously can't convert meters to yards and am about 20 meters short with each color. The problem is that I bought this yarn on clearance at my LYS and doubt that they have more of each of these colors. Another option is to buy two different colors and attempt to work out my own block pattern. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but a trip to the yarn store tomorrow should help solve my problems.





And in other news, Monday's are Monday's, but not when an SP5 present arrives! The best part is that she lives in Boston too and sent me great gifts from some local stores. I have no excuse now not to visit Windsor Button because I now have a gift certificate! She also sent this insanely gorgeous soysilk yarn from Circles! I haven't seen this in there, but man, how perfect is this for me?! Its lace weight and I need to think of something really special to make with it! I also have a lovely little accessory pouch and a beautiful card! So, thank you Secret Pal, you have really done it again...


13 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it all! I saw that soy silk yarn and it just had to come home with me (for you). The other nice thing about being in the same town is that the mail is super-quick :)

--SP

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Christine said...

great loot from your SP. I was going to make that blankie once upon a time, but with mission falls cotton, I did one square, got mad and frogged :) More power to you!!! I wish I had some db merino to give you... I can check around if you like.

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Mmmm, hard to say but I think I'd try to find a coordinating color or two for the blanket. LOVE the goodies from your secret pal, the color of the yarn is beautiful!

 
At 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors of your baby blanket! That will be so pretty. I vote for the coordinating color of yarn, or trying to find it online in a different dye lot (if you put the other dye lot squares on opposite sides, no one will be able to tell, right?).

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you've got a lot of squares to knit! I bet you can find an accent color for the yarn shortage..good luck! Its going to be a sweet little blanket.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger amandamonkey said...

i'm with nicole -
&you should be able to find it cheap online somewhere!

it's knitting up really well. you shouldn't get tooooo bored if you alternate with another, challenging project.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The garter stitch will be worth it, that blanket is going to be cute, I love the colors so far. I'd vote for adding a new color, it's always fun to add a little extra something to a pattern.

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blanket is going to be lovely. Go for a coordinating color. It'll add further interest!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Lynette said...

Knitting bounty! What great loot. I like the colors you picked out for the baby blanket - soothing. Glad you didn't go for the usual pastels.

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your squares look so nice and neat and pretty! The colors are great and I'm sure the finished blanket will be too. I vote for finding co-ordinating colors as well, even a slightly lighter shade of each of the colors you already have - or some neutral grey - but then again I'm a color lover and always think there is room for more ;)

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

OMG the seeming on that sucker totally frightens me :) I guess you could just get some other colors and incorporate them like you said? good luck, you are a really good friend...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home