Thursday, June 16, 2005

To Dye For

I am chalking my first dying experience as a loss. I didn't concentrate enough on technique and the exact colors I wanted and came up with something I am not too thrilled with in the end. But, it was fun and I know things that I am going to change for next time... Notice I say next time!!

First off, I used Diana's technique for self-striping yarn in that I wound a really long hank using chairs spread about 14 feet apart. I tied off three sections and soaked in water for about 30 minutes. In terms of hand-painting the stripes, I used Knitty's guide and sort of just dipped each section into the dye. I put the entire hank in a steamer over hot water and let it steam for about 40 minutes. Periodically, I redipped the yarn. I also made a tin foil contraption to keep the color sections seperate in the steamer (note that this didn't work perfectly). I didn't use the jars like Diana did since I didn't have any lying around. The colors I chose for dye job number 1 were orange, yellow and blue... and, yes, I did get orange, yellow, and purple! For the orange I used 3 Orange and 1 Cherry; the yellow I used 3 Lemonade; and the blue I used 3 Raspberry Blue and 1 Grape (the grape is where it went all wrong).

As you can see from the pictures below, my orange was neon and my blue was purple. It actually looks kind of like a Paper Source bag if you know what I mean!




So, I decided to re-dye. Dye job number two involved a second soak and the use of jars that I acually realized I had at work (duh, I am a scientist)! This technique worked much better and I highly recommend it to anyone that is trying to create self-striping yarn. All you need to do is put the sections in the appropriate colors and put all the jars in one hot water bath until the water in the jars is cloudy or clear!

For this dye I used 3 Cherry packets for the orange section, 3 lemonade packets to brighten up the yellow, and 2 Raspberry Reaction and 3 Changing Cherry for the purple. So, I ended up with these distorted primary colors in the end....




If anyone has made it through this long post and is interested in creating some socks with this yarn, let me know! It is going to the first person who emails me for it! I think it would make some cute socks for a little kid :)

16 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool chalk it up to experience eh?
the first time I did mine it was way strong colours but I loved it,I will have to post a picture of it as I havent used it yet
cara
earth mother

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! The 1st colors were beautiful, the second are even more vibrant. If the yarn is still up for grabs well... pick me, pick me! LOL! ;)

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your yarn is so cool! I love it. I have a white hank of sport weight sock yarn that I've been wanting to do purple and green. I'm chicken though so it sits in the drawer, waiting for its time!

Johanna
Jofrog is Knitfrog

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun!! The colors are so cheery (I almost typed cherry):)

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

i love it! those colors are great. is that yarn or roving? i want to try dying my own yarn someday:) i think i may end up dying the kids too!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger emy said...

Those colors are cute! Wish I could get my hands on dyeing sometime soon.

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like BOTH rounds of dyeing! I will get there eventually, I hope, and when I do, you will need to coach me thru =)

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Ms. Lance-a-lot said...

I love the second batch and the resultant yarn. Way cool and brave of you! You should keep the yarn! Not that I have a problem with you sending it to jo...at least if you send it out, make her to send you a picture of the socks!

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Laura.Y said...

That is a lovely color..:) Why don't you like it? I'm putting Dyeing yarns as a KIV hobby. Can't do it yet.. but it's really nice to see other ppl doing it.

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like both versions - such bright, cheerful colors!

-sp

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Dani said...

Oh they look great! I love the first one with the purple!

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I think they turned out great! I actually like the color combination from the first round. Now that you've got the technique down, I hope you try it again!

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the yarn you made! I have been wanting to try this for quit some time... so thanks for the pictures and inspiration to get me going!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Dani said...

I don't know if anyone who has already commented is going to read this... but THANK YOU for all your kind comments, suggestions, and modivation to make more dyed yarn! A few of you I couldn't find blogs or emails for, but I just wanted to say I appreciate your comments. I am winding up another ball and am going to be dying tomorrow... SO stay tuned!

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, not a loss, I love the colors. And I hope whoever gets the yarn shows pictures of how the stripes turn out. My sock yarn is on the way, until then I can't wait to see your next attempt!

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think BOTH sets look awesome - maybe I'm a nerd but I think neonish orange with colors like purple or yellow looks cool ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home